Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mai Tai Anyone?

I am detoxing from alcohol for the month of January, and 3 days in its proving to be difficult! I have been having a few drinks over the Christmas period while on vacation, and it has caught up with me on the scales. So one month alcohol free should be plenty before I head to Hawaii and enjoy myself, more often than not at the Barefoot Bar at the Hale Koa Hotel. One of my favorite drinks while in Hawaii is the Mai Tai. "Maita'i" is the Tahitian word for good - and good is the operative word for this delicious beverage.

Here is a Mai Tai recipe you can try at home, courtesy of Les Hong, Chuck's Original Steak House.


Ingredients
1.5 ounces sweet and sour mix
1.5 ounces light rum
.75 ounce orange curacao
.5 ounce falernum or orjeat syrup
1 ounce dark rum or Demerara dark rum
Garnishes: half of a fresh lime, pineapple

Pour first 4 ingredients over crushed ice; stir.
Top with the dark rum, garnish and serve.
Makes 1 serving.

If anyone has a recipe for a Mai Tai that they would like to share, please send to me at natalie.hawaii@gmail.com




No comments: