Monday, November 3, 2008

State Symbols and Emblems


I am really into getting the stats about Hawaii. I enjoy learning more about the state's history - it helps you to better understand the culture. Today's history lesson is in State Symbols and such - I hope you learn something too!

Bird: Nene (also known as the Hawaiian goose). This bird is on the endangered species list.

Dance: Hula This dance was around before Nintendo introduced Wii Fit!

Fish : Humuhumunukunukuapua`a (also known as the rectangular trigger fish or Hawaiian trigger fish) - try saying that after a few beers. This fish is so beautiful that I am reluctant to eat it.

Flower: Pua Aloalo or Ma`o-hau-hele (Hibiscus brackenridgei)

Gem: Black Coral

Mammal: Hawaiian Monk Seal (very cute)

Marine Mammal: Humpback Whale

Popular Name: The Aloha State

Song: "Hawai`i Pono`i", written by King David Kalakaua

Team Sport: Outrigger Canoe Paddling

Individual Sport: Surfing

Tree: Kukui Tree (Aleurites Moluccana)

Motto: "Ua mau ke ea o ka aina I ka pono" (The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness)

Language: Hawaiian (although almost everyone there speaks English)


Island Colors:
Hawai`i - Red
Maui - Pink
O`ahu - Golden Yellow
Kaua`i - Purple
Moloka`i - Green
Lana`i - Orange
Ni`ihau - White

I hope you enjoyed your Hawaiian history lesson today. Its great to learn new things about other cultures and regions and Hawaii is no exception.


1 comment:

Robert said...

Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. limo maui