Sunday, November 9, 2008

NFL Pro Bowl 2009

It's Sunday morning and as usual, my husband is hunkered down on the couch waiting for the weekly NFL football games to begin. In the US during autumn and winter, it seems that weekends are reserved for football only - college on Saturday and NFL on Sunday. For me, that's a little too much football - I can usually tolerate about half of one game, and then I'm done. However, every year at the end of the NFL season the best players as voted by the fans, players and coaches head to Hawaii for the annual NFL Pro Bowl, a football game between the AFC and NFC all-stars.

The game has been held at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu (home of the Hawaii Warriors) since 1980. The game caps off a week of festivities in Hawaii in late January/early February, and the next game is scheduled for February 8, 2009. Apparently, the NFL was exploring the possibility of moving the Pro Bowl to the host site of the Super Bowl, and holding it the weekend before the Super Bowl starting in 2009. However, the league decided to retain the 2009 game in Honolulu. It's unclear if they will be revisiting this issue for the 2010 Pro Bowl game.

We are thinking of going to the Pro Bowl next year - I think one of the things that makes me dislike football is sitting out in the freezing weather for 4 hours. However, there is no such thing as cold weather in Hawaii. So, with a few beers, sunshine, and some cute football players, I think I might actually enjoy myself! Let's hope my favorite player, Tony Romo from the Dallas Cowboys makes the cut!

Aloha Stadium - Pro Bowl

No comments: