Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oahu




Oahu is the third largest Hawaiian island and is affectionately known as 'the gathering place'. Oahu is the most populated of all the Islands, with the majority of those people living in its capital, Honolulu.

According to the history books, Oahu was the first island to be seen by Captain Cook - the name explorer who discovered Australia. Man did that guy get around - he discovered half the world!

My love of Oahu came from the first time I stepped out of the plane and into the airport - the smell of the air and the humidity that surrounded me was captivating. All I could smell were flowers and the ocean, it was awesome. Before finally moving to Oahu, I had travelled there three times, each time discovering more and more hidden treasures. I know that a lot of people prefer to travel to the other islands, Maui in particular, but if you really want a true Hawaiian vacation you should definitely spend some time on Oahu. There is definitely more to the island than just Waikiki Beach.

My top 5 things to do when visiting Oahu

  1. Take an Island Circle Tour - by bus is good but you can do yourself

  2. Head to Ala Moana Center


  3. Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay


  4. Walk to the top of Diamond Head


  5. Watch the sunset from Waikiki Beach

I could go on and on about my favorites on Oahu - but here are some pics that remind me and show you what an awesome place it is - not only to visit but to live. Aloha!

Chinaman's Hat



From Here to Eternity Beach



Kalakaua Ave from the Waikiki Gateway Hotel



John near Rabbit Island



Fort DeRussy Beach

No comments: