Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck



Driving around the Island of Oahu, you will find that there are a bunch of shrimp farms, hence the abundance of shrimp trucks. I have not had the chance to eat at all of the shrimp trucks (yet - there is only so much shrimp you can eat per Island circle drive) - but the one that was recommended to me and the one I suggest you visit first is Giovanni's Original White Shrimp Truck. They are located on the North Shore and are definitely the most popular of all the shrimp trucks. I have been there twice in a 3 year period, and the good news is that the menu and prices have stayed the same. Here's what you get:

For $US12 (including tax) you have the choice of 12 fresh shrimp cooked in the following ways:

  • Garlic Shrimp - had chunks of garlic in it but its so good
  • Lemon Butter Shrimp - again I love this one, but a little heavy on the butter
  • Spicy Shrimp - I have not dared to try this - as at the counter it clearly states no refunds on the spicy shrimp - suggesting to me that this might blow my head off with the level of heat

All shrimp comes with a side of rice (2 scoops). The shrimp is cooked while you wait, so it takes a few minutes but definitely worth it. Nothing beats good shrimp (or should I say prawns!) - depends who you are talking to!

I only have one warning when purchasing your shrimp - get one plate for yourself, not to share - it is so delicious that you will want to go back for more. Yum.



No comments: