Friday, October 31, 2008

Hawaii Foodie Buzz


There was a great article in Pacific Business News this week about two Hawaiian restaurants making the list of top 40 Best Restaurants in the US (as selected by Gayot), one of those being Chef Mavro Restaurant. I was lucky enough to dine there when my mom came to visit Hawaii in 2007. I met Chef Mavro (see pic) and took a bunch of pictures of the food, but sadly turned the menu of the evening over to my former boss back at the Seafood School in Sydney, so I can't remember the names of the dishes we ate. What I do remember though was the amazing experience we had, the local produce we tried, and the excellent wines that were matched to the food. Chef Mavro is a deserving recipient of this award - congrats Chef! Below is a picture of a dish made with goat's cheese from the Big Island, which I actually got two servings of because it was so delicious!




The other restaurant from Hawaii in the top 40 list was Ono Hawaiian Foods, which I have not yet experienced, but have added to my list for our vacation in February. From a quick glance at their website I noticed that the food is cheap and the local produce is abundant - something I am always proud to promote. I did notice that Spam is on the menu - which is I would expect and still find funny to think about (refer to yesterday's post on Spam for more info).

Congratulations to these two restaurants. As a huge fan of Alan Wong's I am disappointed that they didn't make the list, but they do feature prominently on other best restaurant lists throughout the world. Be sure to check out all these places on your next Hawaiian vacation - you won't be disappointed!

No comments: