Saturday, February 21, 2009

Waikiki Beach

I have to admit that Waikiki Beach is not my favorite beach in Waikiki - if you have been there you will know what I mean. The ratio of sand to person is VERY tiny, and when I go the beach I prefer to relax - the last thing I want to hear is the person next to me on their cell phone calling home asking about the weather, or how the family pet is coping in their absence. However, Waikiki Beach is probably the most famous beach in Hawaii, and I have to admit, the view of Diamond Head is spectacular.

We did head to Waikiki Beach not long after arriving in Hawaii - there is something about it that truly makes you feel like you are on vacation. Perhaps its the vendors nicely spread along the beach offering you surfing lessons, beach chairs and umbrellas, kayaks, a booze cruise, shave ice etc. Or maybe its the multi-cultural mix of people who are sharing the same experience as you. The Japanese still dominate Waikiki Beach, and their is nothing cuter than watching them attempt to run out to the waves, surfboard in hand. Or maybe it's that everyone, literally everyone, is just so happy to be at the beach with their friends and family having a good time. Although always busy, the beach has such a calming feeling it makes all your troubles disappear.

Waikiki Beach in all its glory!





This picture below is actually further down the beach, actually at Fort DeRussy Beach, which is where I prefer to hang out. Much quieter and the view of Diamond Head is just as good, if not better.

No comments: