Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Hawaiian Tsunami That Wasn't

I spent a good portion of my Saturday glued to CNN, watching the continuing coverage of the possible tsunami as a result of the 8.8 earthquake in Chile.  Did anyone else do the same thing?  While the coverage was riveting and I couldn't look away from the screen, it actually started to stress me out so much that I had to leave the house, and I asked J to call me should anything bad happen.  Some of the footage indicated that people in Hawaii were literally freaking out - while others were just packing up what they could fit in their car in the hopes of waiting it out.  Take a look at this YouTube video of a cool surfer packing it all up on the North Shore just before the tsunami was supposed to hit O'ahu (Thanks tbone924)!




I'm really glad I left my house, and returned to hear that the tsumani warning had been cancelled, and that Hawaii had 'dodged' a bullet.  I was super worried about friends in Hawaii, not to mention Hawaii itself.  While I appreciate that CNN had ongoing coverage of this potential disaster, it scared me half to death, so I hate to think how the people in Hawaii were actually feeling while this was going on.  Thank goodness its over; but its a reminder of the need to be grateful for the things we have and the beauty that is earth.

No comments: