Friday, July 17, 2009

Yum! Alan Wong's Next Generation Dinner

On July 29, 2009, Chef de cuisine, Derek Watanabe will be managing the menu for the Next Generation Dinner at Alan Wong's in Honolulu (King St).

As you already know, Alan Wong's is one of my favorite restaurants of all time, and although I am disappointed that I can't be there for the dinner on July 29, I am pleased to confirm that I will be heading there in August with my mom to get my fix!

For the Next Generation Dinner, Chef has created a delicious 4-course menu. I couldn't decide on my favorite item to list here so click here to see the full menu with accompanying wine pairings. Michelle Karr is the Pastry Chef and her final course looks superb.

The Next Generation Dinner is a regular happening at the restaurant featuring a menu from an up-and-coming cook, with guidance from both Chef Alan Wong and Chef de Cuisine Wade Ueoka. The lucky chef has the opportunity to create their own dishes and puts together a menu that showcases their personal taste. An important piece of the menu creation is the ability to use local products and demonstrate ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, which is classic Alan Wong style.

Before working at Alan Wong’s, Chef de Cuisine Derek Watanabe worked in various hotels in Southeast Asia. During his travels throughout Thailand, Indonesia, and China, Derek learned to work with a variety of different Asian ingredients. The menu that he has created for his Next Generation Dinner features the flavors from Southeast Asia using local products on which to create contemporary twists.

The prix fixe dinner is available for $75 per person or $105 with wine pairings. Reservations are a must and you can make them by calling Alan Wong’s Honolulu, at (808) 949-2526.

No comments: