Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4 Celebrations on O'ahu

Happy July 4 to everyone! While it may seem strange that I am Australian and I am getting into the American holiday spirit - I think its important to embrace the traditions of the place in which you reside. July 4 is celebrated to commemorate the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Typically, people celebrate by having BBQ's, parties, picnics, going to the baseball, and with fireworks. I am not a big fireworks fan, for a few reasons:

1. The noise
2. The mess
3. The danger
4. The effect they have on animals


However, I anticipate a night of fireworks where I live and if you are in Honolulu, why not head to Ala Moana Center’s annual Fourth of July Celebration, where they have it ALL (ok, I don't think they have baseball)!

Live music at Ala Moana’s Center Stage will start at 12 noon today. At 5 p.m., Hoku Zuttermeister, Natalie Ai Kamauu, B.E.T., Pali and other contemporary and traditional Hawaiian music acts will take over the shopping center's ocean-facing parking deck for a concert leading up to the evening’s fireworks. The fireworks show is one of the 25 largest displays in the U.S.begins at 8:30 p.m., launched from three platforms at Ala Moana Beach Park, which is across the street from the mall (and where John and I got married!).


If you want more information head to the Ala Moana Center website. Have fun and most of all, be safe!

No comments: