Monday, November 1, 2010

Hawaii Five-O - My Official Review

I had started a blog post about the new series Hawaii Five-O on CBS about 3 weeks ago, and I have to admit it was less than complimentary.  For some reason I never finished the post and now I am glad that I didn't publish it.  With the series now about 7 episodes in, I've changed my tune.  Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan star as Steve McGarrett and Danny 'Danno' Williams respectively, and have really found their groove as police partners on the show.  Initially, I felt like the show didn't reflect Hawaii as it really is (the first episode was focused on some kind of terrorist threat, which I don't believe has ever happened (nor is likely to happen any time soon).  And in this week's episode, there were locals drinking Blue Hawaii cocktails in the tropics bar at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which again is not likely to be a common occurrence.  But the story lines are improving, the scenery is always a pleasure to absorb, and over 14.5 million viewers each week can't be wrong - it really is one of the better new TV shows of the fall. 

While the show is fun, take it with a grain of salt.  There are a number of scenes in the show that are not 100% accurate, and I feel like they misrepresent Hawaii in some of their episodes.  But overall, a pretty impressive job and let's hope that McGarrett and Danno stick around for Season 2.  If you haven't seen the show yet, enjoy this preview on YouTube and tune into CBS on Monday night for more.

2 comments:

spas in hawaii said...

Very interesting review, especially about the locals drinking the blue drinks. They also use fiction places and events at times like the Coral Prince Pro surf competition.

Oahu Mom said...

I've enjoyed watching the show and recognizing local landmarks. But you're right, it's not 100% accurate. As someone else said, it's not reality TV. In reality, I think Hawaii is friendlier and safer than it is portrayed in Hawaii Five-0. But it's still a fun show to watch.